So now you want to buy yourself a good sewing machine, but are intimidated by the price tag that comes along. First of all it is completely natural to feel this way, after all sewing machines do look expensive. But the thing is that this is not a myth nor a dream, to see yourself with the best sewing machine under $100.
The good thing about the sewing machine industry is that they are really devoted to their customers, and want to provide much more in lesser price. So, without wasting further more time, if you are an individual who has been doing some sewing machine research whilst keeping the $100 cash at a side, this guide is for you.
Best Sewing Machine Under $100 – Top Picks
|Image||Model||In-Built Stitches||Auto Buttonholder||Weight (pounds)||Our Rating|
|Singer 1304 Start Free Arm Sewing Machine||6||No||12.7||9/10|
|Michley LSS-505 Lil' Sew||8||No||5.4||8/10|
Without further ado, let’s begin our hunt for the best sewing machine under $100.
Here are the best sewing machines for beginners under $100:
#1. Brother XM2701
The Brother XM2701, 27 Stitches, 1-Step Auto-Size Buttonholer, Sewing Machine is loaded with features. Be it Beginner or Advanced sewers, everybody loves the versatility this machine has to offer. The machine is jam-packed and it is hard to beleive that it falls under this category. The features this machine offers include:
- 27 Build-in Stitch Patterns, including straight-line, zig-zag and blind hem
- 63 stitch functions
- Automatic needle threader
- 800 stitches per minute
- Quick set bobbin, with 6 feed dogs
- Build-in quilting features
- 1- step button hole style, which would ensure virtually perfect button holes
- Warranty of 25 years
- Bilingual Insturction Manuals in English and Spanish for better understanding
The machine has a lot of offer. No, really it does. Depending on your technical skills, you can really do some good tasks with this one. Hemming and stitching has been made so much more easier, and the 6 easily changeable feed dogs let you operate in different modes. The Stitch patterns that the machine can sew are massive and include all the perfect ones.
The LED lighting in the machine is somewhat dim. But this problem can be solved by working in perhaps a better lit area.
#2. Brother Jx2517 Lightweight Full Size Sewing Machine
A exceptional sewing machine in the most reasonable cost. With this one you can expect phenomenal results as it comes with 17 different built-in stitch patterns and a fully functional 4 step-buttonhole as well. Talk about simple stitching or maybe repairing complex hems, Brother’s Jx2517 can do it all for you. The model is great for basic, everyday use since it comes with all the simple features and accessories that you might want out of a sewing machine. Other features that this model offers are:
- Manual needle threading system
- speed of 900 stitches per minute
- 4 feed dog systems
- a jam-resistant quick-set drop-in top bobbin
- Stitch width of 5mm and length of 4 mm
- Built-in storage for accessories
- Range of different, yet useful accessories including bobbins and extra needle pins etc.
You will have no difficulty getting a hold of this machine at all as it comes with a very clear and discrete user manual. Talk about making buttonhole or hemming your pants or maybe experimenting with different decorative stitch styles, with this model you can really experiment and learn. Perfect for entry-level sewing enthusiasts.
With no automatic needle threader, you can feel lost and confused. Plus, yes the machine does offer a range of stitches to choose from, but actually selecting a stitch from the dial is not that simple. As compared to other models which require just a single turn for stitch pattern selection on the dial, you will need to work out with this one.
#3. Brother LS2125i Easy-to-Use Everyday Sewing Machine
This is the most workable, inexpensive 10 stitches sewing machine in this price. It’s simple yet powerful features have so much to offer to the sewers. The machine allows one to work easily on the flat bed and free arm feature, can also provide sufficient hemming purposes and deals with heavy materials like denim as well. More features include :
- 900 stitches per minute
- 10 stitches built-in pattern
- Option of fully customizing the buttonhole
- The 4 step auto buttonhole feature
- Easier and faster bobbin Winding
- Zipper, button and buttonhole
- The easy-to-switch 3 presser feet
- 25 year warranty
Now the machine has a lot to offer in this awesome price tag. Good stitching speed, with 3 presser feet and 4 step auto buttonhole feature make it a bug winner. It allows the sewer to experiment more, due to it’s free arm part. Makes the job really easy for the sewer
Although it does make it easy for the sewer to sew, yet it lacks the automatic features such as automatic needle threader. So, those who are not friendly with the needle threader part, they will have a hard time with this machine.
#4. Singer 1304 Start Free Arm Sewing Machine
For those of you who take sewing as a serious hobby, this one is your perfect match. The Singer 1304 is simple, easy and effective to work with. For beginners, this singer model works very well as it is easy to set up and due to being light-weighted, you can carry it your sewing class rather easily. There is absolutely no need for you to make the stitch length and width adjustments with this one, as it is already set and you can do variety of stitching with this one including cuffs, hems and so much more. Nevertheless, the Singer 1304 has the following specifications:
- Speed of 750 stitches per minute
- 6 built-in stitch patterns to choose from (including the 4 step buttonhole)
- Easy stitch style selection from dial
- Automatic Bobbin winding feature
- Reverse sewing option
- Inclusion of the All-purpose, buttonhole and zipper presser feet
- 5 mm stitch width (automatically set)
- Free arm setting, for stitching cuffs, collars, hemming and reaching other difficult areas
Now with this Singer model, the basic stitching can be done instantly with fantastic finished look. The amount of features it offers under the $100 mark makes it even more worth it. The speed is satisfactory along with the 6 main stitch patterns that the machine offers. Plus the light weight factor makes it a ideal choice for those who need to move around a lot.
With the vertical bobbin, some beginners will have trouble to work with it. Plus threading can also pose as a problem for beginners. However, if one worked with other machines, then both these problems can be dealt with.
#5. Michley LSS-505 Sewing machine
To begin with it’s just 5 lbs in weight (talk about being small). Yes, this is one light weight and easy to move machine but what amazed me was the range of features it offered. 8 built-in stitch patterns, reverse easy stitching and even a LED to work under, you can really accomplish neat and clean stitches with this marvel. The Michley LSS-505 is a beginners dream come to, because this is one of those models that let you develop your own stitching style and that too very easily. Other highlights of this model are:
- 8 built-in stitch patterns to choose from
- Selecting your stitch speed from the high-low options
- Reverse stitching option
- Easy thread tension control from the front dial on the machine
- Free arm option
- 3 different feed-dog facility
- Extra accessories including needles, bobbins and foot pedal etc
- Very easy to understand manuals
- Compact and highly inexpensive
Want to hem pants? Or maybe sew collars? Or have perfect reverse, tight stitches? All of these are some tasks which this model can accomplish perfectly. Plus its size and price are just too right for beginners and even those who want the basics covered.
The warranty is too low. They hardly come with a rich 20 year plus warranty. Expect a 1 year warranty.
What to look for in a Sewing Machine Under $100
Let’s be clear.
A $100 price range yells that you are a beginner, or looking for beginner level needs.
There is no doubt that the bigger the price tag, the better the machine. However, you can get the best of sewing world in this price tag too. But the right kind of machine should:
- Offer you the basic stitches like the straight line and zig-zag stitch, followed by some other decorative stitches.
- Offer you range of solution to your basic problems such as home based projects, deal with the light-weighted materials.
- Not confuse you (be it in the case of a mechanical machine or a computerized machine).
Moreover, if you are a lazy shopper and rely much on guidance, or just want some basic honest information on an affordable sewing machine that you can find under the $100 tag, then you should give this list a read.
Just remember, there are several machines which can come under the $100 tag, but it is important to look for if the basics are being covered or not. Otherwise your investment will be a major fail.
In my honest opinion, Brother XM2701 is the best sewing machine under $100 for all the benefits it offers in this low price.