When it comes to fashion and clothing, one thing that never goes out of style is leather. While faux, fur and even wool are easier to stitch and handle, leather has a separate scenario. Leather has always be known for its high quality, never deteriorating products but there is no denying the fact that it is indeed, one of the toughest material to deal with. Keeping in mind its complexity and how much we rely on it, I decided to help you find the best leather sewing machine for yourself.
The Best Sewing Machines for Leather 2017
- The Best Sewing Machines for Leather 2017
- Reviews of the Top Rated Leather Sewing Machines
- 1. Janome HD3000 Best Leather Sewing Machine
- 2. SailRite LSZ-1 Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine
- 3. Singer 9960 Computerized Leather Sewing Machine
- 4. Toyota FSG325 Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine
- 5. Janome Sewist 500 Industrial Sewing Machine
- 6. Consew 206RB-5, Triple Feed Heavy Duty
- 7. Tacsew GC6-6 Industrial Upholstery Sewing Machine
- 8. Juki DNU-1541S Industrial Walking Foot Sewing Machine
- 9. Reliable 4000SW Walking Foot Sewing Machine
- Why is Leather so Hard to deal with?
- So What Kind of Machines Work Best for Leather?
Now that you know why and how an industrial sewing machine would work in case of leather sewing, let me bring you to the next part: The best leather sewing machine out there. Over time, I have come across several industrial leather sewing machines and have created some fabulous products for myself, but it is kind of obvious that the results would be exceptional since they are industrial machines.
Here’s a list for you to find your best leather sewing machine 2017:
Reviews of the Top Rated Leather Sewing Machines
If you are facing problems finding the best sewing machine for leather, go through our honest leather sewing machine reviews and make your decision.
1. Janome HD3000 Best Leather Sewing Machine
Janome HD3000 is that ideal heavy duty machine that comes with all the features required for advanced level stitching. Now this might be what you label as a industrial sewing machine, but that does not negate the fact that it is perfect for beginners as well. Pretty easy to understand and even easier to use, this Janome machine has a lot to offer. At the first glance it looks like ordinary computerized machine, however, it is equipped with a hard aluminum body and is a heavy duty machine.
Some Key features of this machine include:
- Built in 18 pattern stitches, which can be selected through dial selection
- 1 Step, fully Automatic Buttonhole
- Built-in, fully equipped needle threader
- 7 piece feed dog
- Presser feet (Snap on)
- Free-Arm Design
- Drop Feed system, with the option of extra high presser foot
- Reverse Stitch Lever option
- Push-pull bobbin winder
- Full Rotary, horizontal hook bobbin system
- Maximum stitch width of 6.5 mm
- Maximum stitch length of 4mm
- A lot of Storage
When it comes to heavy duty machines, especially those which come under the industrial leather sewing machines, Janmoe HD3000 is the perfect beginner level machine. Not only does it manage leather well enough, it also offers a wide range of stitching patterns. With several automatic features and the high presser foot, the machine can efficiently work to produce leather products and that is why it has, no doubt, one of the highest ratings in leather sewing machine market.
2. SailRite LSZ-1 Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine
To begin with, this is a very professional machine. Sailrite LSZ-1 is one of the best industrial sewing machine out there which makes sewing through thicker materials appear like the most easiest task. A machine of this magnitude is expected to perform well, as this one has so many features that you will be left awe-struck.
Let’s just jot down the features:
- Can stitch materials of all kind, including multi-layers of fabric together
- Stitch patterns include the straight stitch and the zig-zag stitch pattern
- Twice as much as powerful than the ordinary machines, due to the Power Plus Wheel
- Stitch length variations ( 6mm for straight stitch, 5 mm for zig-zag)
- Extra Wide and High presser foot, which offers a 3/8″ foot lift
- Comes with a proper guide book and 2 year warranty
The Machine is a fully powered, heavy duty industrial machine, which is the ideal kind of leather sewing machine. Due to its advance features and performance, the machine can not be considered fit for domestic use. However, the sewing capabilities of the machine are vast, with guaranteed excellent output.
3. Singer 9960 Computerized Leather Sewing Machine
Singer 9960 is the ultimate computerized machine, which will handle complex sewing tasks with ease. This machine is largely known for its noticeably-fast sewing speeds, an extensive stitch pattern selection and automatic features such as automatic tension control and thread-cutting. Not only this, this sewing marvel also comes with Extension Table, Bonus Accessories and Hard Cover. Be it beginners or professionals, both kind of users can use this machine for their complex tasks.
The main features include:
- 600 built- in stitch patterns to choose from
- 13 buttonhole stitch styles
- 19 different presser feet
- Easy and fully automatic threading system
- Top drop-in bobbin
- Automatic adjustment of stitch length and width
- Maximum speed control lever
- Button for adjusting Needle up and down position
- Free arm design
- Mirror imaging and elongation function
- Automatic thread trimmer
- Slow speed option
- Loads of accessories
Singer 9960 is the most talked about machine, largely because it has just so much to offer. But the question remains that can it be used a leather sewing machine? The answer is: Yes it can. But the range of features tends to compromise a bit on the results. The machine is computerized and offers a lot to the beginners and professionals though, which makes it a good investment. So for a machine it is a huge thing, but as a leather sewing machine, it is quite average.
4. Toyota FSG325 Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine
Just when you thought Toyota was busy making cars, they launched a whole set of other machinery. This sewing machine is a heavy duty machine introduced by Toyota and has been tried several times as well. It is worth every buck, as it stitches through all kind of fabrics, even layers of fabrics as well. Be it basic, intermediate or professional level needs, this machine fits in all the categories.
Key Features of this sewing machine include:
- 25 stitch build-in pattern
- Comes with 3 dials for selecting stitch pattern, and controlling stitch length and control
- Full Stitch length and width control
- Free-arm and flat bed sewing
- Clip on feet and screw on feet
- Electronic Drop feed facility
- Front loading bobbin
- Extensive Standard Accessories quilting, denim, leather, suede, curtains, and soft furnishings
In case you are looking for a machine that will handle your daily life tough tasks easily, then this machine is your ideal choice. In case of leather, the machine would not work as efficiently as expected. However this does not mean that you can not count it as a leather sewing machine; it will do the moderate tasks rather perfectly.
5. Janome Sewist 500 Industrial Sewing Machine
Now this is the machine that will help you with your easy leather fixes, as in stitching your purse’s handle or maybe fixing your wallet etc. This leather sewing machine produces good and even stitches, and includes all the basic features that will all be very price worthy.
By taking a look at the features it offers, you will understand why is this the perfect little machine that you absolutely need:
- 25 built-in stitch patterns
- Easy,changeable snap- on with 6 kind of presser feet
- hemming and one step fully automatic buttonhole option
- Free arm design with built-in automatic needle threader
- Sewing speed of 860 stitches/ minute
- Maximum zig-zag width of 5 mm and stitch length of 4 mm
- Manual thread tension control system
- Extra high presser foot lift option, with electronic foot controller
- Storage and ample of accessories with a hard case
It is a nice, sturdy machine that runs quietly, includes the kind of automation that helps you set up the machine quickly, and can do everything from mending to quilting, including free motion embroidery. There aren’t as many decorative stitches as some of the less expensive machines but what you get in exchange is a worthy trade-off. In short, it will fix most of your leather products job for you.
6. Consew 206RB-5, Triple Feed Heavy Duty
Now from the outlook of it, this machine is a super duper heavy duty, leather sewing machine. Tasks like stitching, threading and even bobbin winding are simplified and those people who have already worked on some industrial machine, would find this machine to be of even better quality. Also, the machine is equipped with the Servo Motor, which is a super quiet yet powerful motor. Normally, machines of such size are loud and noisy due to the clutch motor system, but Consew 206RB-5 is one silent machine. The stitch quality is amazing and whatever the material is the results are just exceptional.
More features include:
- Stitch length with Extra-long capacity (10mm – 2 ½ stitches per inch)
- Easy to use and Large Bobbin
- Extra high presser foot clearance ( 9/16″)
- Centralized lubrication
- Gear driven hook mechanism
- Safety clutch
- Adjustable forward and reverse length
- Changeable needle plate and feed dog
- Locking stitch regulator
- Drop feed
- Extensive accessories such as walking feet and needles etc
Big things come with big results and that is definitely the case here. Each stitch, regardless of the selected length, comes out with precise accuracy and perfection. You can really take good advantage of its feature and fulfill all your leather projects that you would have ever thought of doing. Also, the machine requires proper maintenance as well,so never slack on it.
7. Tacsew GC6-6 Industrial Upholstery Sewing Machine
TacSew GC6-6 Industrial Sewing machine is another best choice. Even if you are a beginner to industrial machines you will still get the hold of this one. It is a very high quality walking foot machine with includes the reverse option as well. With up to 1600 SPM (stitches per minute) you can be sure to complete all your leather projects in time. The machine excels in sewing through medium weight and heavy weight materials such as vinyl, leather, upholstery, canvas and synthetic materials comfortably.
More features include:
- Single and straight needle stitch with top and bottom feed
- 1600 stitches per minute of speed
- Stitch length of 0-8 mm
- M-Style bobbin
- Fully automated Lubrication System
This machine runs smooth, while providing the best results. This powerful machine is designed to handle hard hitting projects and work in tough industrial environments. The price is perfectly justified as well.
8. Juki DNU-1541S Industrial Walking Foot Sewing Machine
The Mother of all industrial leather sewing machines. This is one of the most popular machine used in the bag-making and upholstery world. The Machine comes with a larger needle bar stroke, higher presser foot lift, and newly adopted double-tension mechanism which enables it to offer excellent sewing capabilities and responses.The machine’s feeding motion promises the consistent feeding of materials of all thicknesses without stitch gathering, ensuring a over all smooth stitching experience.
- 2500 stitches per minute stitching speed
- 9 mm of stitch length (Maximum)
- Alternating vertical movements of the walking foot and presser foot as large as 6.5 mm
- Large hand wheel and over sized reverse lever for easy operation
With walking foot technology, rectangular feed, and a higher needle stroke, heavier materials such as leather can be sewn with ease using this machines. Not only this, the servo sewing motor ensures that the machine works rather quietly. Overall, this machine will give you an incredible sewing experience.
9. Reliable 4000SW Walking Foot Sewing Machine
The best part about this heavy duty industrial sewing machine is its very powerful feeding system, due to which it can stitch and sew through almost all sort of heavy fabrics. The Reliable 4000 SW single needle sewing machine is ideal for sewing leather, upholstery, synthetics and even canvas. The machine is magnificent as it undertakes such heavy projects while creating the least bit of noise, ensuring outstanding quality as well.
Other key features include:
- Maximum stitching speed of 2000 RPM
- Stitch length ranging from 0 – 10 mm
- Needle bar stroke of 35 mm
- Pressure foot lift of 8 mm and 14 mm ( By knee)
- Thread take up-stroke capability of 71.5 mm
- Single row Feed dog system
- Manual Lubrication system
- Stitch dial regulator
- Reverse lever
- Dimensions – head 11″ x 28″ x 26″
- Weight – head 76 lbs
- Dimensions, with stand, of 40″ x 50″ x 51″
The main feature of this machine is its servo-motor, the Sew-quiet 4000. This motor does not buzz at slow speeds, plus maintains the perfect speed with minimal noise. Moreover, it can sew up to 10 layers of fabric easily. However, this is not the strongest competitor in the industrial sewing machine models. It is a rather basic machine which does the job smoothly. Overall, in terms of heavy duty industrial machines, investing in this one would be fair shot.
Why is Leather so Hard to deal with?
Now for those of you who have never dealt with leather, let me honest here. The material is great and doesn’t age, but this pro-factor posses as the biggest hurdle in itself. Not only is it thick and textured, but it usually involves a complex stitching process, consisting of several stitches and selective stitch patterns as well.
Secondly, if you are considering to stitch up leather products by your own self, you should understand this one thing that such stitching demands a better and a much more heavy duty machine. Using your normal, domestic sewing machine would not be an intelligent move, when it comes to leather stitching. And even on those heavy duty sewing machines, don’t panic if the needles break, because when it is leather that we are talking about, expect a lot of hard work and broken needles.
So What Kind of Machines Work Best for Leather?
Now that you understand the material itself, let me bring you to the next part: The best machine. For the best kind of leather stitching, you can expect industrial sewing machines such as leather sewing machine, to do the job. Industrial sewing machines are used to stitch and sew tough materials like leather, parachute, canvas and all sorts of thick fabrics.
Just like its expertise, industrial sewing machines, especially the industrial leather sewing machines are quite different as compared to the domestic machine. The difference is that of a car and a semi truck. Industrial machines are powerful, and give exceptional results. Now obviously they would a a bit towards the pricey side, but over all investing in a industrial leather sewing machine never goes to waste. But to be very clear, these are some of the key differences between a industrial machine and a domestic machine :
- Stitch Quality: In case of industrial machines, the stitch quality is great and precise. Domestic machines require extra effort to get those stitches done perfectly.
- Stitches per second: Industrial sewing machines are high-powered and give up to 1500 to 2500 stitches per minute, on a average. While the most fast domestic machine can barely reach the 1500 stitch per minute mark.
- Stitch Styles and Options: Industrial sewing machines mostly come with main stitch styles. Domestic machines offer vast collection of stitch patterns including several decorative stitches.
- Production Speed: Industrial sewing machines are fitted with faster motors, hence the stitching speed is fast. Domestic machines have slower production rates.
- Kind of Thread: You can use heavier threads and larger cones in industrial machines. Domestic machines work well with lighter threads.
- Type of Machine: Industrial machines, due to their size and specifications can handle tough and sturdy materials easily. Domestic machines are best for small projects that require lighter materials and do not involve much of complexities.
- Audience: Industrial machines are designed for those people who require better results and deal with more complex materials. They are long lasting and are fit for professional use. Domestic machines cater those audience who require stitching for basic projects. They are fit for casual use.
- Investment: Industrial machines are a long term investment and last a long time. Domestic machines bear higher chances of being damaged in the long run. Initially, they can be cheap but in the long run you tend to invest more in them.
In Short: Domestic sewing machines have their pros and cons and industrial ones have their fair share of pros and cons. Domestic machines serve daily household projects efficiently, but in case you want to deal with some heavy duty projects, that involve better, stronger stitches, and a professional outlook, such as that in case of leather products, then industrial sewing machines are the best kind to invest in. These heavy duty machines work great as leather sewing machine.
Now that you know what kind of leather sewing machines exist in the market, you can jot down your leather projects and get your investments in the right place.