Best Leather Sewing Machine of 2018 – Top Rated Reviews
When it comes to fashion and clothing, one thing that never goes out of style is leather. It's impossible to not look cool while rocking a leather coat or, if you're a little more daring, leather pants.
But when it comes to fabrics and sewing machines, leather is difficult to work with. Even wool is easier to work with (but no one wants a wool miniskirt).
If you have the right sewing machine though, you can work with leather like a pro. With a little research, you can find the best leather sewing machine and get to work on your hot new wardrobe.
We've done the hard work for you and put together a list of the top leather sewing machines. Explore your options and see if there's a model that stands out for your leather projects.
The Best Sewing Machines for Leather 2018
Ready to find the perfect sewing machine for leather? It won't be easy but it will be worth it. Our detailed and honest reviews will help you narrow down your choices and find a machine that speaks to you. Ready to get started? Let's go!
Reviews of the Top Rated Leather Sewing Machines
The Janome HD3000 is an ideal heavy-duty machine that comes with all the features required for advanced level stitching.
This is definitely an industrial machine but don't let that scare you away. Even if you've never worked with such a machine, this model is easy to adapt to.
Even though it's appearance suggests that it's a basic machine, it's equipped with a hard aluminum body and the strength you're looking for in a durable leather sewing machine.
Some key features of this machine include:
- Built in 18 pattern stitches, which can be selected through dial selection
- 1 step, fully automatic buttonhole
- Built-in, fully equipped needle threader
- 7 piece feed dog
- Presser feet (snap on)
- Free-arm design
- Drop feed system, with the option of extra high presser foot
- Reverse stitch lever option
- Push-pull bobbin winder
- Full rotary, horizontal hook bobbin system
- Maximum stitch width of 6.5 mm
- Maximum stitch length of 4mm
- A lot of storage
The best part about this heavy duty industrial sewing machine is its very powerful feeding system. It can stitch and sew through almost all types of heavy fabric.
The Reliable 4000 SW is a single needle machine and ideal for sewing leather, upholstery, synthetics, and even canvas.
The machine is magnificent as it undertakes such heavy projects while creating the least bit of noise and ensuring outstanding quality as well.
Other key features include:
- Maximum stitching speed of 2000 RPM
- Stitch length ranging from 0 – 10 mm
- Needle bar stroke of 35 mm
- Pressure foot lift of 8 mm and 14 mm (by knee)
- Thread take up-stroke capability of 71.5 mm
- Single row feed dog system
- Manual lubrication system
- Stitch dial regulator
- Reverse lever
- Dimensions – head 11″ x 28″ x 26″
- Weight – head 76 lbs
- Dimensions, with stand, of 40″ x 50″ x 51″
Singer 9960 is the ultimate computerized machine. It can handle complex sewing tasks with ease.
This machine is largely known for its incredibly fast sewing speeds, an extensive stitch pattern selection, and automatic features such as automatic tension control and thread-cutting.
This sewing marvel also comes with an extension table, bonus accessories, and a hard cover. You'll be able to use this machine to tackle your most complex tasks.
The main features include:
- 600 built- in stitch patterns to choose from
- 13 buttonhole stitch styles
- 19 different presser feet
- Easy and fully automatic threading system
- Top drop-in bobbin
- Automatic adjustment of stitch length and width
- Maximum speed control lever
- Button for adjusting needle up and down position
- Free arm design
- Mirror imaging and elongation function
- Automatic thread trimmer
- Slow speed option
- Loads of accessories
This is the mother of all industrial leather sewing machines.
The Juki DNU-1541S is used for bag-making and upholstery on a professional level. It comes with a larger needle bar stroke, higher presser foot lift, and newly adopted double-tension mechanism which enables it to offer excellent sewing capabilities and responses.
The machine’s feeding motion promises consistent feeding of materials of all thicknesses without stitch gathering, ensuring a smooth stitching experience.
- 2500 stitches per minute stitching speed
- 9 mm of stitch length (maximum)
- Alternating vertical movements of the walking foot and presser foot as large as 6.5 mm
- Large hand wheel and over sized reverse lever for easy operation
Now this is a machine that will help you with your easy leather fixes, as in stitching your purse’s handle or maybe fixing your wallet.
This leather sewing machine produces strong and even stitches, and includes all the basic features that you would expect in its price range.
Key features include:
- 25 built-in stitch patterns
- Easy, changeable snap- on with 6 kinds of presser feet
- Hemming and one step fully automatic buttonhole option
- Free arm design with built-in automatic needle threader
- Sewing speed of 860 stitches a minute
- Maximum zig-zag width of 5 mm and stitch length of 4 mm
- Manual thread tension control system
- Extra high presser foot lift option, with electronic foot controller
- Storage for plenty of accessories with a hard case
Just looking at this machine should tell you that it's a durable and heavy-duty leather sewing machine.
Tasks like stitching, threading, and even bobbin winding are simplified with this unit. Even if you've worked on an industrial machine before, this one will certainly have some features that will blow you away.
The machine is equipped with a servo motor, which means its uber quiet, despite its large size. The stitch quality is amazing, especially when working with thicker materials like leather.
More features include:
- Stitch length with extra-long capacity (10mm – 2 ½ stitches per inch)
- Easy to use large bobbin
- Extra high presser foot clearance ( 9/16″)
- Centralized lubrication
- Gear driven hook mechanism
- Safety clutch
- Adjustable forward and reverse length
- Changeable needle plate and feed dog
- Locking stitch regulator
- Drop feed
- Extensive accessories such as walking feet and needles
The TacSew GC6-6 Industrial Sewing Machine is another contender for best leather sewing machine. Even if you are new to industrial machines, you'll quickly adapt to this model.
It includes a high-quality walking foot and includes reverse for more versatility. With a speed of 1600 stitches a minute, you'll be sure to complete all your leather projects on time.
The machine excels in sewing through medium weight and heavy weight materials such as vinyl, leather, upholstery, canvas, and synthetic materials with ease.
More features include:
- Single and straight needle stitch with top and bottom feed
- 1600 stitches per minute of speed
- Stitch length of 0-8 mm
- M-Style bobbin
- Fully automated lubrication system
8. Toyota FSG325 Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine
Just when you thought Toyota was busy making cars, they surprised us all with a sewing machine line.
This sewing machine is a heavy-duty machine introduced by Toyota and has been well received by the sewing industry. It's worth every penny in its price tag as it can stitch through all types of fabric (and multiple layers).
Though it's a basic machine, it will meet all intermediate, and professional needs.
Key features of this sewing machine include:
- 25 built-in stitch patterns
- Comes with 3 dials for selecting stitch patterns and controlling stitch length
- Full stitch length and width control
- Free-arm and flat bed sewing
- Clip on feet and screw on feet
- Electronic drop feed facility
- Front loading bobbin
- Extensive standard accessories for quilting, denim, leather, suede, curtains, and soft furnishings
9. SailRite LSZ-1 Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine
This machine is as professional as they come. The SailRite LSZ-1 is one of the best industrial sewing machines out there. It makes sewing through thicker materials as easy as possible.
Overall, this machine will exceed your expectations and you're sure to fall in love with its long list of features.
Key features include:
- Can stitch materials of all kind, including multiple layers of fabric
- Stitch patterns include the straight stitch and the zig-zag stitch pattern
- Twice as powerful than basic machines due to the Power Plus Wheel
- Stitch length variations (6mm for straight stitch, 5 mm for zig-zag)
- Extra wide and high presser foot, which offers a 3/8″ foot lift
- Comes with a proper guide book and 2 year warranty
Why is Leather So Hard to Deal With?
If you've never worked with leather, you don't understand the frustration that can come with this great material. While clothing and decor items made from leather don't age and look great, working with the material is difficult. It's thick, textured, and usually involves a complex stitching technique. To put it simply, it's not for the new sewist. It takes a lot of dedication to work with leather.
Even if you have a sewing machine and consider yourself fairly skilled, leather is going to throw you a curve ball. You need a high-quality, heavy-duty machine to get the professional results you're after.
It's not uncommon to experience broken needles and hiccups when working on a leather project. But if you have the best sewing machine for leather, you can expect less frustration and better results.
Don't let the complexity of leather scare you away from working with this timeless material. Instead, find a machine that will make working with it as easy as possible.
So What Kind of Machines Work Best for Leather?
Now that you understand the difficulties of working with leather, let's move on to finding a machine that can handle the material.
To be blunt, you need an industrial sewing machine to work with leather. This doesn't mean you need an oversized monstrocity of a machine. It just means you need a unit that was designed to work with leather. You'll want to find a machine that was designed with leather, parachute, canvas, and other thick fabrics in mind.
Think of it this way. A car and semi truck both drive. They'll both get you from Point A to Point B. But if you're moving across town, a small car won't get the job done effectively. A semi truck can help you get the job done fast and without the risk of losing or breaking your possessions.
If you work with leather on a standard sewing machine, your project will take hours longer than it should. In fact, you might not get the project done at all just because the machine wasn't designed to handle such a job. But if you work with a leather sewing machine, you'll be working with a piece of equipment that was designed for the job. You'll be able to work quickly and safely.
In case you still aren't sure about the difference, here are some of the key differences between an industrial machine and a domestic machine :
Both domestic and industrial machines come with their own list of pros and cons. For most sewists, a domestic model will meet their needs just fine. But if you consider yourself to be a professional sewist and have a long list of projects that involve thicker or complex materials, an industrial model is a must.
A leather sewing machine is a great investment. They're built to last and can help you build your sewing skills and work with materials that would otherwise be out of your reach.
You'll be able to produce stronger stitches and professional products with the best leather sewing machine. Now that you know what's out there, and why you need a leather sewing machine, you can start to narrow down your options and find a unit that will help you create the projects of your dreams.