Sewing leather may seem like a challenging task or even impossible, but funny enough, it is doable. Astonishingly one can sew leather at home with the regular sewing machine. However, there are a few guidelines that go in hand to ensure you comfortably sew the leather.
For instance, you need to have a leather needle instead of the regular needle found at the sewing machine. Leather is quite challenging; therefore, it needs a strong needle. Another vital tool to have is the best thread for sewing leather. Cotton is not ideal as tannins found in the leather will erode it over time. In this review, we will discuss some of the thread types you can choose for sewing leather.
10 Best Thread for Sewing Leather
1. FEPITO, 21pcs
This is a heavy-duty thread that is wax-coated to ease the tightening of stitches and add a smooth touch. The thread has a wide range of colors ranging from black, brown, grey. You get to choose according to the color of your end product.
The thread has a wax coating hence suitable for leather bags, wallets, tents, shoes, backpacks, etc. it has a length of 35m, 265 yards which makes it long enough to serve your purpose. In addition, it comes along with several sewing accessories. Such include the hand sewing needles, which are easy to use even without a threader. Others are the sewing thimble, triangle needles, and measuring tape to ensure you measure the correct sizes.
- It is wax coated hence able to ease the tightening of stitches
- It has a length of 35m and 265 yards
- Wide range of colors
- Easy to use
- Long-lasting as it normally waxed and is heavy-duty hence strong enough
- It comes in a variety of colors such as black, brown, dark brown, light khaki to ensure you have a range to choose from
- The thread is suitable for many leather-making projects such as making shoes, leather bags, tents, etc.
- Easily damaged by chemicals, acids, and alkalis
2. SGT Knot #69
Many refer to it as the military-grade nylon sewing thread because it is strong and highly durable. The nylon material has a high resistance to moisture, mildew hence ideal for leather-making products. It never loses its strength even when wet and amazingly can resist the effects of acids, alkalis, and chemicals.
The thread is easy to store; hence one can purchase it in bulk and keep it without worrying about damage. Besides, the sewing thread comes featuring a wide range of colors such as white, Black, foliage green, and coyote brown to give you some degrees of choice when buying. This helps you achieve the desired design of whatever leather product you are making without complaints.
- Has 3000 yards
- Resistant to moisture and chemicals
- Five color options – black, white, coyote brown, white, and foliage green
- The nylon material has a high resistance to moisture, mildew hence ideal for leather-making products.
- The thread is easy to store; hence, one can purchase in bulk without worrying about damage.
- There is a wide variety of colors, such as white, grey, black, foliage.
- Ability to resist the effects of acids, oils, alkalis, and chemicals.
- The thread is relatively expensive
3. BUTUZE Leather Sewing Thread
The BUTUZE thread is a superior waxed thread that is ideal for hand sewing of leather. The superior wax thread ensures it’s not only challenging but also durable. It comes in a variety of bright colors to help you make personalized leather products such as bracelets, leather shoes, and leather crafts.
There are various colors for waxes, such as black, natural color, dark gray, blackish green, grass green, to name a few. This ensures you choose according to your needs and preference. For instance, if you want to make a leather bracelet, you might opt for brighter colors such as green or blue.
The thread is versatile, which is suitable for both beginners and professionals’ wide range of purposes. It is tough, but one can comfortably hand sew with it because it has a delicate stitching vestige. With this thread, you can make a variety of leather products such as bags, wallets, canvas, bag packs, to name a few.
- Item Weight: 3.98 ounces
- Package Dimensions: (4.3 x 2.3 x 2.3)”
- Material: Leather
- It will withstand the test of life
- It comes versatile to suit a wide range of applications
- You have freedom of choice when buying –choose your appealing colors
- The wax produces harmful chemicals and chafes that may damage the sewing machine.
4. MANDALA 69 T70
Yet another best thread for sewing leather is MANDALA 69 T70. Unlike another top rival, this is a superior sewing thread that delivers permanent results. This means that it is weather resistant hence can withstand moisture and mildew. High heat tolerance means it does not melt up easily unless under extreme heat conditions.
The thread is compatible with both hand and sewing machines. This is because it is coated with a bonding agent that reduces friction. This ensures that it delivers smoother stitches, and there is the prevention of unraveling. The thread has a yard number of 1500. Like most other threads in the market, this one is also moisture-resistant and can be exposed anywhere without fear of it getting damaged.
- Weather-resistant thus can withstand any amount of heat or moisture
- Coated with a bonding agent that reduces friction
- It has 1500 yards
- The thread is extra strong as it is made from industrial nylon material
- It can withstand high heat conditions and moisture too
- Compatible for both hand and machine sewing
- The thread only comes in black and natural color, thus limiting one from exploring further options.
5. MANDALA T135#138 420D/3
This thread is made from an industrial-grade bonded nylon material. The nylon material is known to have high tensile strength, which makes it barely unbreakable by hands. In addition, it is weather resistant. It does not get damaged when exposed to both heat or wet conditions. Thus one can buy in bulk, and they don’t have to worry about the thread getting damaged.
Mandala crafts offer versatility where the thread is usable both for hand and machine sewing. This is because it is coated with a bonding agent that reduces friction, thus offering smoother stitches and reduces unraveling. Let us have a quick look at the pros and cons.
- The thread is coated with a bonding agent to reduce friction
- Made from industrial grade bonded nylon material
- It is strong and durable
- The thread is easy to use both by hand and by machine
- Easy to store as it is weather-resistant
- The bonding material has chafed and other harmful chemicals that at times damage the sewing machine.
6. GOIIO LEATHER 33 YARDS
GOIIO best thread for sewing leather is a multicolor waxed thread that performs a wide range of functions. Some of the leather-making projects it carries out include; making leather jackets, wallets, shoes, bags. The thread has up to 36 colors which provide a wide range of options for one to choose from. For instance, if you want to make a lady-like bag, you can choose bright colors while making leather shoes. You opt for dull colors such as brown and black.
The thread is strong and durable, thus making it ideal for use in leather sewing. It has a comfortable touching feel hence suitable for hand sewing. In addition, it has the right amount of wax which makes it easy to savior as you sew. The thread is light and portable hence easy to use as compared to most leather sewing threads.
- The thread is waxed; hence easy to sew with it
- Light and portable
- Up to 36 colors
- The thread is strong and durable, thus making it ideal for use in leather sewing
- it has the right amount of wax which makes it easy to savior as you sew
- The thread has 36 colors which provide a wide range of options for one to choose from.
- Has the ability to perform a wide range of leather projects such as making leather jackets, wallets, shoes, etc.
- Delivery is at your cost.
7. Tenn Well 4.8 Oz.
Similar to other products we’ve listed here, Tenn well is a strong and durable thread made from polyester material. Polyester is known for having tensile properties, which means it does not break easily. This makes the thread ideal for leather-making projects. In addition to that, the thread is waxed, making it strong. The wax also helps reduce knots in the cord as the thread slips through itself.
The thread comes in a 3.75 height and 328 yards in one spool. This is perfect enough to serve you for a long time. Moreover, it comes only in black, making it ideal for making black leather shoes, bags, bracelets. Black is beautiful.
Several accessories come along when you purchase this thread. Among them is the large eyes stitching needle, which helps you sewing either by hand or machine. Try this black thread and have easy sewing days while using it.
- It has tensile properties that make it strong
- Thread is waxed, thus reduces knots in the cord
- The thread comes in a 3.75 height and 328 yards in one spool
- It is a solid and durable thread made from the polyester material
- The three comes along with several accessories such as a large stitching thread
- Tenn well has a quality leather cord meaning the cord does not knot as it slips through itself
- The thread has only black. This does not give the sewer a wide range of options to choose from.
8. MANDALA 150D 0.8mm 273 Yards
This is an extra-strong thread that is made from superior nylon material. The material has properties of high tensile strength which make it unbreakable by bare hands. Additionally, nylon is weather-resistant, which means even when placed outdoor at a place with moisture, it does not grow molds.
It’s incredible how the thread is compatible with both hand and machine sewing. This is because it is coated with a bonding agent that reduces frictions. This ensures the thread can stitch smoothly even by the use of hands.
The thread has a variety of colors ranging from black, air force blue, aquamarine, etc. This provides one with a range of options to choose from. For instance, if you want to craft a Blue leathered handbag, the aquamarine will blend in well.
- The thread is coated with a bonding agent that reduces friction
- Mandala craft is weather resistant
- It has a high tensile strength
- The thread is extra strong
- A variety of colors provide one with a range of options to choose from
- Easy to store and use
- The bonding agent has chafed and resins that may damage the sewing machine.
9. EMBRO 50wt/3PLY, 218YD
The reason the quilting thread is extra strong is that it is internally bonded. The bond prevents ply twisting. The manufacturer ensures it’s of higher standards as compared to other threads. It is extreme hi-tech floss that does not break with bare hands and has low breaking rates at your machine.
Amazingly this thread lacks an outer wax which is common in most threads. This ensures no residue or chaffe may cause damage to your expensive machine. In addition to that, the bobbins of these threads are generally compatible with most sewing machines, such as the singer and brother.
The thread is UV resistant thus does not damage or fray when exposed to harmful UV rays. The purpose quilting can do a wide range of leather works. This includes making leather bags, shoes, and jackets, to name a few.
- Extra strong and durable such that it cannot break with bare hands
- The thread is internally bonded to prevent ply untwisting
- Resistant to UV rays and salty water
- Lacks the outer bond thus does not produce Chaffe which damages the sewing machine
- The thread is extra strong.
- It is easy to use the thread as its bobbin is compatible with most sewing machines.
- The thread is not for hand-sewing
10. CRIDOZ 35 Pcs
The hand sewing thread is 150d and waxed. This makes it lightweight and easy to use. The Cridoz embroidery kit comes in a variety of rainbow colors. This gives you a range of vibrant options to choose from. This thread is ideal when it comes to making a leather bracelet.
The thread is made of soft polyester cotton. There are six strands to ensure there is cross-stitch floss that is strong and durable. The polyester-cotton is though strong, it’s soft thus easy to use, especially when hand sewing making it ideal for beginners.
- Made of polyester-cotton material
- It comes in a variety of colors
- The thread is extra strong, thus ideal for both machine and hand sewing
- Easy to use
- The thread is ideal for beginners as it is soft thus ideal for hand sewing
The Best Thread for Sewing Leather Buying Guide
The market is full of different types of sewing threads. Often the cheap ones end up disappointing because they are usually of poor quality with no tensile strength. The good news is that we got to have a comprehensive buyer’s guide you should consider.
Here are some of the factors to consider when purchasing a thread for sewing leather.
Consider the tensile strength.
Tensile strength depends on how hard it is to tear a thread into two by use of hands. A good leather-making thread should be one that cannot be broken by bare hands. This property makes the thread strong hence can qualify for sewing.
Consider the versatility
It is logical to choose a product that can serve several purposes over one that only performs a specific task. A good leather sewing thread should be one that can be sewing both by hand and machine. Often this is made possible when the thread is soft and engineered with hi-tech floss.
A variety of color waxes
Consider a sewing thread brand that has a variety of colors. This will offer you a wide range of options to choose from, and you can comfortably craft your leather product as you wish. For instance, leather bracelets will require lots of color shades for them to look attractive.
When buying a leather sewing thread, ensure that you get value for your money. Sometimes expensive does not guarantee quality. You might purchase a cheap sewing thread that is of high quality. Always ensure you get value for your money.
Consult friends and people into the leather sewing business
Friends will give you an accurate idea of which thread is best to use when sewing leather. Moreover, it is only wise to consult your fellow leather sewing colleagues. They will give you an honest opinion
It is now easier for one to decide on the best thread for sewing leather with all the discussion above. We recommend that that you pick the one on our list as they perform to your expectations.